Mission

ETTAWAH MISSION

Missionary collaboration among the Latin and Oriental Churches was a result of the second Vatican Council. The 1974 Calcutta Meeting of CBCI done in the light of the Council expounded "Priests, Brothers, Sisters and others from dioceses that are rich in vocation specially in the South should be invited to work in dioceses where there is a dearth of personnel. Bishops in the North with extensive territories, especially in responsive areas, should invite Bishops, Major Superiors and Religious Institutes of Priests particularly from the South to take up territories on the pattern adopted in the formation of Exarchate." It was in response to this call of CBCI that the then Archbishop of Agra Most Rev. Dr. Dominic Athaide, OFM Cap. , a great missionary, contacted another great missionary Archbishop of South - Mar Antony Padiyara, our Archbishop - to take up certain areas of the Agra Archdiocese and engage in mission work. In accordance with their desire on 1st May 1975 the pioneer missionaries reached Agra and on 1st June 1975 a contract had been drawn up between the two Archdioceses.

HOME MISSION (ThekkanMission)

The establishment of the Syro-Malabar Hierarchy on 21.12.1923 was a mile stone in the History of Syro-Malabar Church. But the freedom for ritual performances of their own church traditions was restricted only to the areas between the river Pampa and the river Bharathapuzha. This right of the Syro-Malabarians was granted by the Bull “MulthorumFidelium” issued on April 29 1955. Accordingly territories of the Changanacherry were extended up to toCapecomerin.

           From the inauguration of the Lourdes church in 1959 by Archbishop Mar Mathew Kavukatt, tremendous progress has been achieved in the establishment of lay communities, religious communities, new churches and other institutions of the Syro-Malabarions. South Zone or Thekkan mission consist of the Forane parishes of Thiruvananthapuram, Kollam - Ayoor  andAmpoori. The population of the Thekkan mission is about 20000.

          Mar Thomas Tharayil was proclaimed as the Auxliary Bishop of Changanacherry and co-ordinator of the Thekkan mission on 14th January2017. With the consecration of Mar Thomas Tharayil to be held on 23rd of this month a new era will be started.

FOREIGN MISSION

The foreign mission of the Archeparchy of Changanacherry consists of ministry among the Syro_malabar migrants who are living outside India. Generally priests from the Acreparchy work for the Latin dioceses and also undertake the special pastoral care for the Syro-Malabar migrants.

1. In Germany - 14

2. America - 8

3. In other countries - 7

ADOPTED MISSION

The Eparchy of Jagdalpur comprises the present Bastar revenue division. i.e. the southernmost 7 districts of Chhattisgarh such as Kanker, Narayanpur, Bastar, Dantewada, Kanker, Sukma and Bijapur. The total area is 39176 SqKms and population is about 29 Lakhs, constituted of Adivasis who form the major bulk of the population (69%). It was in 1966 that Bastar region was separated from the Eparchy of Visakapattanam and added to the Apostolic Prefecture of Raipur. The Acheparchy of Changanacherry is one of the major supporters of the Eparchy of Jagadalpur.